A few weeks ago, I had a hormonal acne breakout that just sent me over the edge. So I finally made the decision to switch over all of my makeup to clean beauty products only. I’d been brushing off my mother’s suggestion to do this for months. But as we all know…moms are always right! It was a vicious cycle: have a breakout > apply more makeup to cover said breakout > pores clogged by makeup > more breakouts. Yikes!
What is clean beauty all about?
Even though I’m a dedicated user of cruelty-free beauty, I hadn’t switched everything over to cleaner, non-toxic products, too. I was still convincing myself that more natural formulas wouldn’t provide me with the coverage I needed. Shocker – I was wrong. By using clean, non-toxic makeup and skincare, I’ll be helping, not hurting, my skin. So fewer breakouts > less need for makeup > less coverage needed. Why didn’t I think of this before?!
Clean beauty products, in essence, are created and formulated without the harmful, toxic chemicals that are in most of today’s mainstream beauty products. The FDA barely (BARELY) regulates what goes into our beauty and skincare (also household!) products. One of the main culprits is synthetic fragrance.
“Fragrance” is a completely unregulated ingredient that is in TONS of makeup and skincare products. There are no requirements to disclose what’s included in fragrance, so you really don’t know what you’re putting on your skin. And get this. Synthetic fragrance can be a major hormone disruptor. Ding, ding, ding! We have a culprit for my hormonal breakouts.
Where to buy clean, non-toxic makeup and skincare:
One of the most important things about starting a clean beauty journey is getting educated. Follain and Credo are two retailers that serve as incredible resources for learning more about the harmful chemicals to avoid. I’ve also learned so much about clean, alternative ingredients and their benefits from these two stores as well. If you live in the Dallas area or have one of these retailers near you, I highly recommend going into one of the stores to peruse products and learn from their highly-informed staff.
Once you feel more educated and confident about which ingredients to look out for, you can even find clean beauty products on Amazon or at Target!
A lot of people don’t switch over to clean beauty for cost-prohibitive reasons. While I completely understand this, a lot of these products are no more expensive than the mainstream, “dirty” products. And trust me, there are loads of affordable clean beauty products available out there (sharing some below!). Using cleaner products could mean fewer expensive trips to the dermatologist, using less makeup so you’re replacing it less often, and slowing down the aging process (we know procedures to reverse the signs of aging are *very* expensive!). Last but not least, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Just start to replace your products with clean beauty options as your others run out instead of replacing everything overnight!
10 clean beauty products I recommend for starters:
Okay, now onto the good stuff. I’m sharing 10 recommendations for clean beauty products that I think are must-haves if you’re wanting to clean up your makeup routine.
- Kjaer Weis Foundation: I’m a full-coverage girl through and through due to my struggles with acne. I had concerns that cleaner beauty might mean I had to sacrifice the coverage I like. That wasn’t the case with this foundation! It leaves such a silky, flawless foundation finish and isn’t harmful to my skin – yay! It’s an investment up front, but the replacement foundation fillers are much cheaper/on par with normal foundation prices from department stores etc. I did notice that it ran out quite quickly but that could’ve been due in part to testing different foundation brushes with it. Turns out I prefer it applied with a beautyblender best!
- Ere Perez Concealer: I had the same coverage concerns with clean beauty concealer, but I don’t have to worry with this concealer! It goes on very creamy and the coverage is amazing. This concealer also has arnica in it which is a soothing, healing ingredient that reduces inflammation. That’s perfect since I’ve been using it over blemishes or pimples causing me trouble!
- Burt’s Bees Blush: Imagine my excitement when I found this blush at Target! I’d noticed small, teeny pimples showing up along my cheeks from my other blushes and am happy to report that that’s no longer an issue now that I’ve been using this one. And I love that it’s under $10!
- W3ll People Brow Gel: The best thing about this product is that you can buy it at Target! Well, that’s the best part in my opinion, ha! It’s basically the same thing as Glossier Boy Brow but it packs a bit more punch when it comes to pigment. You can easily apply less for a less filled-in look or brush it out with a brow spoolie to get your desired level of pigment. I love how small it is for travel and just how easy it is to apply to enhance the natural shape and color of my brows!
- Kosas Lipstick: I had been on the hunt for a magenta/hot pink/classic red lip color for the longest time when I found this lipstick. The formula goes on so smoothly, feels nourishing like chapstick on your lips, and the color lasts for a good few hours!
- rms Luminizer Highlighter: I wrote a whole post on cruelty-free highlighters here, and this rms one made the list! It’s the product I reach for when I want a very natural, glowing-from-within look.
- rms Bronzer: Since I am pretty fair, I have usually avoided bronzers in the past for fear of looking too orange. But this bronzer is light, buildable, and the formula is super blendable and natural-looking.
- Glo Skin Beauty Cream Shadow Stick: While I love the idea of owning and using tons of gorgeous eyeshadow palettes, they’re just not realistic for me and my routine. I don’t have the time to apply lots of different shadows on a daily basis, so I love this shadow sticks! I just draw them on for some added color and definition.
- Ere Perez Chamomile Eye Palette: BUT…if I had to pick just one eyeshadow palette to own it would be this one. I’ve been thinking about it for months ever since I saw it at Credo! The shades could be perfect for everyday wear or more formal events. I love its versatility! Since the shades are infused with chamomile, these shadows will be soothing on the sensitive eye area.
- Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser: Last but not least! This isn’t necessarily a makeup product, but it’s the makeup removing cleanser that I seriously can’t live without. It gets *everything* off and smells like Sweet Tarts!
You can find all of my clean beauty products and skincare favorites linked on this page! I’m always updating it when I add in new clean beauty finds that I love.