It’s been a minute since I’ve done a fitness post around here! For the past year now, I have consistently been working out at the Pilates Barre studio and TreadBarre here in Dallas. I thought I’d talk about the reasons why I choose to exercise at a studio versus with a trainer, on my own, at a gym, etc. with y’all if you’re evaluating different options or considering a change. I actually started doing pilates my junior year of high school at the Pilates Barre (not sponsored, just obsessed), so I like to think that I’m well-versed on the studio membership approach to exercise.
Top (similar here) | Leggings (I prefer the Luxtreme fabric from Lulu because it doesn’t collect lint/pill like the Luon leggings. I always wear a 7/8 length legging to keep cool during workouts) | Sweatshirt (size down or stay TTS, fits oversized) | Shoes (TTS, wearing size 7)
5 Reasons Why I Exercise at the Pilates Barre Studio:
- Accountability: This is truly the #1 reason that I budget for a studio membership. When I know that there’s a teacher & a class of people (oh and a charge for missing a class!) waiting on me, I’m 1000 times more likely to get my arse to a workout. If I just planned on going to the gym to workout, I can tell you I’d just put it off until forever like the time I attempted to commit to BBG…#sorrykayla 🙂 I also love that someone will be telling me what to do which means I don’t have to think about/plan it which leads me into my next point…
- Professional Instruction: Making sure you have professionally trained instructors at your studio should be high up on your list when you’re evaluating studio options. The instructors at Pilates Barre are very knowledgeable, friendly, offer exercise modifications for those with injuries, and have killer playlists. Feeling like you can connect with your instructors and trust their expertise is so important.
- Group Setting: In the past, I have had mixed experiences with one-on-one training. I’ve had a really negative & discouraging personal trainer and then a very encouraging and warm trainer. But I just don’t think this is the model that works best for me primarily because of cost. The higher cost also limited me from being able to workout more than once or twice a week because, like I said earlier, if I’m left to do my own workout it doesn’t happen! Know thyself, lol. I also think I don’t like having that much attention just on me. In studio classes, there’s a camaraderie that comes along with sweating it out as a whole group. One of my favorite parts about the Pilates Barre studio is that people (women and men!) of all ages, shapes, and sizes workout there. This really makes it feel like such an inclusive and positive experience for me!
- Consistency: I think that both ClassPass and StudioHop are amazing, and I loved getting to try new studios when I had memberships with both companies. But I always found myself wanting to go to just one place where I was familiar with the teachers, the parking sitch, etc. When I’m consistent with my exercise, I notice such a massive reduction in my stress that day & week – that’s worth its weight in gold! I’m also able to stay consistent in scheduling my workouts at the beginning of each week with the PilatesBarre phone app. I can stay on track with how many workouts I get in each week. Ease of scheduling is such a key factor when you’re choosing a studio because you’ll want booking your workouts to easily become a weekly habit.
- Pricing Bundles & Deals: Most studios will offer discounts for new clients or for auto-renew packages. Each time that I have reached the end of my membership package, I’ll get an email from the PilatesBarre with a great offer on another class package. These deals have been great because I pay a better price (when averaged out per month) for a few months at a time and don’t have to worry about the monthly auto-renew cost which has always stressed me out with other studios. They’re also always running deals on class packages! I know that the expense can be a major deterrent for those considering a studio membership, but if the above reasons also describe you and your needs, definitely consider it as an option. I recommend determining your budget ahead of time and asking about different deals and promotions as well as their policies about cancelling contracts, etc. if you don’t end up loving the studio!
Photography by Vanessa Chavez