With Christmas just about two weeks away, we’re starting to watch our favorite movies and make our favorite holiday recipes. Little Women is one of our favorite Christmas movies to watch, so I knew I had to share our Christmas wassail recipe. There’s a scene in the movie where the girls go wassailing and sing the Christmas carol – do you know it?! If you’re singing it in your head right now, same.
This Christmas wassail recipe is the perfect holiday drink for parties or for a night spent watching Christmas movies. It’s sweet, warm, and a different take on just plain apple cider.
How to Make my Christmas Wassail Recipe with Baked Apples
This recipe is from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook!
Christmas Wassail Recipe Ingredients:
- 3 large cooking apples, cored
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 6-oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 6-oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Cinnamon sticks
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Core and cut apples in half and place cut side down in a glass baking dish.
- Bake apples for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the apples bake, simmer 2 cups of apple cider, the cloves, allspice, and nutmeg in a covered 6 quart saucepot for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the apple cider, the frozen orange juice and lemonade concentrates, and brown sugar. Heat until hot but not boiling.
- Pour hot cider into a large punch bowl.
- Remove apples from oven and place them, skin side up, in the punch.
- Ladle about a 1/2 cup of the punch in each cup to serve. Add a cinnamon stick to each serving!
I hope this Christmas wassail recipe brings as much warmth and joy to your house as it has brought to mine over the years 🙂 Happy Holidays!
What recipes are your favorites during the holidays? Let me know in the comments!