Now that it’s summertime and the sun is shining, it’s important to make sure that your sun protection game is on point to prevent any of those ratchet/embarrassing burns and skin cancer, duh. Serious stuff but it can be so easy to make a priority when you’re at the beach or the pool! Keep reading along to see my tips and tricks for protecting myself from the rays and the products that I love to use.
1. Sunscreen for your body: Gotta protect the majority of your epidermis (cue all “your epidermis is showing!” jokes here)! When this Supergoop! Sunscreen Mousse arrived, I was thrilled. For real, I was so excited about the concept that I wanted to apply it at 8 PM just out of pure intrigue. You shake it up and your sunscreen comes out as a lightweight mousse – you read that right. A nice fluffy blob of sunscreen that applies SO easily and doesn’t blow away in the wind like the spray sunscreens I was always using in the past. It also didn’t leave my hands feeling sticky or gross at all because it applies so well and the formula isn’t heavy or greasy. I also feel like this mousse is worth it because it’s a step above when it comes to sun protection. I didn’t burn ANYWHERE, not one place. No parts of my body were even concerningly red. My mom pointed out that my shoulder was reddening since I’d missed a spot, so I slapped on some more mousse and that redness went adios. This stuff is gooood, real good guys. 10/10 would recommend.
2. Facial sunscreen: Even though I’ll mention ways I incorporate facial sun protection into your normal routine below, I think it’s extra important to layer up for days you’ll be in the sun longer or especially on vacation. This SPF serum was a game changer in Palm Beach because I could apply it for both sun protection AND other benefits.
3. Lip protection: The skin on your lips is SO sensitive and burned lips are the WORST. Even worse than just regular chapped lips. I don’t know why but I think of Glozelle every time I talk about chapped lips and want to say, “these crusty crusts” in reference to my chapped lips. Anyone else?! Anyway, it is so important that your lips receive regular application of sun protection especially when your sun exposure increases. This lip protection also serves as a cheek color so you can get protection AND pigment all at once.
4. A hat: Simple but necessary…and fun to shop for. Get shade and protection the old fashioned way. I couldn’t get enough of my $26 boater hat.
5. SPF in your skincare routine: Since I need as much skin protection as I can get, I love to use products that can also be incorporated into my normal skincare routine or makeup routine. My go-to foundation has SPF 15 in it and that’s also boosted by the extra coverage I get via my day moisturizer that also has SPF 30. These are easy and sure fire ways that you’ll get that coverage that you need. I really loved using this Supergoop! serum because it had moisturizing benefits, anti-aging ingredients, all in addition to SPF – winner! It wasn’t greasy at all and didn’t affect my makeup application at all. I washed my face and then applied this serum before I applied my makeup. I felt like I was able to check off all the necessary boxes with this serum which made getting ready to go to the pool that much easier.
6. Finish your makeup with SPF protection: I am 1000% one of those gals that is a setting spray and setting powder addict. I love this powder and this spray loyally BUT when it comes to sun protection I know I’ll be reach for this and this. These two items are a quick final touch on my makeup that also keep me extra protected from the sun. This way keeping my face protected is a no-brainer.
- Reapplication: I LOVED how each Supergoop! product had guidelines on reapplication so I wouldn’t be left guessing or waiting until my skin was too red or burnt.
- Heavy up on sensitive skin and scars: I have a scar on my knee that I call my “frog scar.” Every summer since I was 3, these toads have come to court their mates by our backyard pond. They croak all night long to woo their lover and hop all around our backyard. When I was in 8th grade I was outside looking at two cute kittens in our yard and happened to glance at a toad coming my way. I totally lost it, stumbled, fell hard down onto our driveway and landed myself with a scrape that would turn into a permanent knee scar. Thus the name: frog scar (toad if we’re being specific). ANYWAY THOUGH…scars are super sensitive areas to the sun so I’m always making sure to heavy up on my frog scar or other sensitive areas like:
- Make sure it sticks: Consider doing a bit of research online or on the sunscreen aisle to consider what’s really going to stick to your skin and actually protect you from the sun. That’s why I think this Supergoop! mousse is so incredible is because it stays on despite sweat or water, you reapply every 80 minutes, and it doesn’t go flying off into the wind and not onto my skin.
All Supergoop! products provided courtesy of Supergoop! via the Preen.Me VIP program. All opinions are my own.