Summer is approaching and that means that it’s time to master those mermaid waves! I love to curl my hair, but the honest truth is that I’m super lazy when it comes to putting too much extra effort into my appearance. Most of the time I curl my hair for special occasions, blog shoots, or when I am really feeling ambitious. When I do decide to curl my hair, it’s important that my routine is quick and easy and gives me the results I’m looking for. I’ve tried many, many irons and have narrowed it down to a few that I think allow me to get the best waves.
Keep reading to see my review on these irons and for my step by step beach waves tutorial!
First off, I have to say that this iron is so pretty. I know that’s not the most important thing BUT those rose gold details just get me! Anyway…this iron is impressive in that it comes with three different iron attachments for three different styles of waves: defined tight waves, loose beach waves, or full-body curls. I use the mid-size iron to get loose beach waves.
T3 Whirl Trio Review
T3 Whirl Trio Pros:
I love that this iron comes with three different barrels for me to choose from. This iron definitely gets me the beachwaves that I’m looking for. The curls are very smooth and perfectly loose for the beachy look. Make sure to use a strong hold hairspray and scrunch it in to hold those waves all day!
T3 Whirl Trio Cons:
This iron is incredibly nice and performs well but not worth the hefty price tag. I purchased it for about $100 on eBay because there was no way I was looking to purchase it at full price – I highly recommend doing this to save money on these tools! Just make sure that the iron is new in an unopened box or new but that it’s been tested to see if it works (read product descriptions carefully!). I’ve also noticed that my hair will slide along the barrel and I’ll have to rewrap my hair a couple times before I’m actually curling it.
Step by Step Beach Waves Tutorial Using the T3 Whirl Trio:
- Separate your hair on both sides into two layers: a lower and an upper layer.
- Start with 1-inch pieces of hair on the lower level.
- Take the iron and angle it downward along the side of your head.
- Set the iron about mid-way down the piece of hair.
- Wrap the piece of hair around the iron barrel in the direction away from your face. (If you’re curling hair on the left side of your face, wrap the hair in the direction towards the back of your head.)
- Wrap almost the entire piece but hold out the last inch or so of your hair away from the iron.
- Hold the piece on the iron for 15 seconds.
- Take your hand and cup the bottom of the iron to catch the piece of hair as it comes off of the iron. Scrunch the warm piece of hair to really hold that curl.
- Once you’ve finished both the upper and lower levels of curling, spray everything!
- After you’ve curled all of your hair, spray again. Wait 30 seconds – 1 minute and then run your fingers or a wide-toothed comb through your curls to loosen them to their beachiest state.
Beachwaver S1 Pros:
I’m convinced that there isn’t an easier or faster way to curl your hair than with the Beachwaver. That’s what makes this iron worth its price tag! But I also found this iron on eBay from a seller that had opened the box just to ensure that the iron worked properly, and I have had no problems with it! The Beachwaver was totally new to me, so I had to watch some of their YouTube tutorials on how to use it. Because it curls your hair for you, you’re looking at about a 10-15 minute commitment tops (depending on your hair type) for your hair.
Beachwaver S1 Cons:
I’ve found that when I use this iron as a wand I actually get the curls that I like the best and that last at least until the next day which is RARE for my hair. This isn’t technically a con, but I’m listing it here because I’m using the iron in a way that’s different from its intended use. I love using it either way, but if you do decide to try this iron try out these two different methods and let me know what you think!
Step by Step Beach Waves Tutorial using the Beachwaver S1:
- Make sure you press the HOME button to make sure the rotator is ready to curl perfectly.
- Hold the curling iron parallel to the side of your head.
- Take a 1-inch piece of hair and clamp in the piece of hair. If you have long hair, let about an inch of hair hang out of the clamp to get the looser beach wave look.
- If you’re curling your hair on the left side, press the left arrow button to start curling the piece. (Vice versa for the right side)
- Curl the piece up about mid-way up the strand and hold for 10-12 seconds.
- Loosen the clamp and pull the iron directly down.
- Scrunch hairspray into your curls!
This iron isn’t pictured, but it has been my go-to for years (especially my high school years when I was desperate to have Taylor Swift curls, L O L). You can grab it at Ulta or Amazon for a great price. This iron will give you long-lasting curls that can even stick around for a couple of days after to keep your waves going. I will say that this iron can get dangerously hot (which is necessary to get the curls) and that it doesn’t make the smoothest, most gentle beach waves.